Sunday, February 27, 2011

Grown-up fish sticks

I just love Budget Bytes's blog. Her recipes are solid, delicious, nutritious and cheap. Fits all my criteria for a perfect meal.

Tonight we made grown-up fish sticks.

[Edited to add: I linked to the original recipe, but I wanted to make sure it was clear. This is Budget Bytes's recipe and I did not modify it at all.]



It was easy! In 30 minutes, I microwaved potatoes, made fresh bread, heated baked beans and fried the fish sticks. Here's what happened:

  • Defrosted a package of frozen tilapia fish sticks in the fridge during the day
  • Chopped the fish into halves and then thirds
  • Dipped the fish into a flour/cajun pepper mixture, then into egg, then into panko, then into a hot, oiled pan
  • Fried until golden. Flip and repeat. 
We tried this dairy-free tartar sauce. Essentially, I mixed mayonnaise, frozen dill, mustard and lemon juice and omitted the yogurt. It tasted like mayonnaise but was a good side.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment