Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Easy breakfast oatmeal


This is not a glamorous breakfast, but it is hearty, cheap and easy to make. I do, however, limit this meal to one or two mornings.



To make this oatmeal:

  • Add 2-3 cups of milk to a saucepan on medium-high heat. I use coconut or rice milk.
  • Add an equal amount of oats. I love the Quaker Oats.
  • Add ~1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice. This is a mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice and ginger.
  • Add a handful of raisins, a handful of dried cranberries or any other small, dried fruit.
  • Lower the heat to simmer once the milk is boiling and let simmer until the liquid is evaporated or you are ready to eat. 
The girls like this meal with locally-harvested maple syrup. I eat the oats plain. I find it flavorful enough as a stand-alone meal and I don't want the extra calories.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment