Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Inside-out stuffed peppers


We really, really liked this meal. I have always been a fan of stuffed peppers but it always seems like so much work. On the evening of this meal,  our groceries were delivered at 6 pm and I wanted to get supper on the table. This is what I did:
  • Brown 1-1.5 lbs of ground beef. Drain fat
  • Add one diced onion, a diced green pepper and 8 ounces frozen corn kernels and cook until soft
  • I added a couple of handfuls of cooked navy and garbanzo beans because they were sitting in the fridge. I think they added some nice texture and substance, but I wouldn't go out of my way to add them
  • Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning and oregano
  • When the onions and corn are soft, add a can of diced tomatoes. It's a plus if they are seasoned as well. I used a 14 oz can, but a 28 oz can will do nicely if you like tomatoes
  • Stir occasionally and serve when heated through
This is an easy, hearty dish. We ate them with baked potato slices. I told S that next time I will add more frozen vegetables and he gave me the stink eye. I may keep this as a primarily beef meal but I think it would be good with more veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment